martes, 24 de noviembre de 2015

Interview to Greg Maupin of Agony Divine


Interview by Luis Landeo
Hails Greg, welcome again to Arsenal Del Metalero, this is the second time I interview you again about your band: Agony Divine, and not about Archaic Winter, our black deathened metal project (laughs), to start with this interview, I would like ask you, how was re-start for you again Agony Divine? and how was
search the new members of the band?
Well, then new members found me. The drummer called me and asked if I would interested in playing. We met in a bar and had a few beers. At the time, I did not know we would be restarting Agony Divine. I have been the only constant original member of the band after all these years so it was cool to final be able to record an album and put some closure to songs that composed 15-20 years ago. 
I remember very well after the release of the full lenght: "Esoteric Doors" by Archaic Winter, you was very focus in work music for Agony Divine, but how was for you in compose music for Agony Divine, and work in music isnt definetly black metal?
Well, like I said. The Agony Divine songs were written 15-20 years ago. It have evolved as a guitar player and over the years I have explored many metal sub genres. I try to keep my style interesting by mixing different styles of metal. But like I said, the Agony Divine material is some of the first songs that I ever wrote so the material is more simple and is a reflection of who I was as a guitarist many years ago.
With the new members in the way, and the new music for the band, how was record in the studios? how was that funny days in the studio? I know you had a lot fun for the pics i watched in my computer, but tell me more about it
It was a learning experience for everyone. I had to step outside of my normal way of doing things and that was fun because it was a small challenge. Also, I did not use my own guitar or amps so people familiar with my black metal work are probably surprised to hear a different sound from me. I learned a lot about myself as a musician. I learned things that I do and do not like about music. But overall it was a great experience that I am thankful for.
Let me ask you about the name of the cd, why this title of: "March To The Divine"? what is the concept of the lyrics for all this new songs of the band?
Well, I am not sure what that particular song is about. Most of the songs are about the TV show Star Trek but some of the lyrics have under tones about religion.
The art of the album is amazing, I have to confess you, when you told me about it, i wasnt very convinced about the aspect of the cover of the album, but when you published, I was like surprised, it is a good cover, but who did it? and what represent the templars soldiers and the demon wizard there? or how play all this in the concept of the lyrics?
The art was done by a friend of our bass player (who also sings) The art shows Templars marching to their doom. It fits the song and that is really all that I know about it. I did not have any input on how the art would look so that is not a question for me.
The band returned to play in live, how was for you back to play in stages? tell me about the firts concert of return? how was that night?
Playing live is an awesome experience. It is a chance to escape the real world for a short period of time. I just love to go up there and play guitar with an amp cranked up loud. So far, the live shows have been great and we seem to make a good impression every time we take to the stage.
Just to finish this interview, do you have a message for the readers?
I just want to say thank you to everyone for the support. Metal is a way of life and those who have it in their blood will never turn their back on it. Again, many thanks to everyone who gives their support in all of my music endeavors. Please check out Archaic Winter and be on the look out for my new project called Decrepit Throne. Hails to all! lml

To know more about Agony Divine:

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario