viernes, 26 de junio de 2015

Interview to Nina Spruk of Mist


Interview by Luis Landeo
Hails Nina, welcome for first time to Arsenal Del Metalero practicly one year ago, I interviewed your partner Neža Pečan, and it was about the demo of the band, now this year the band released an EP entitled: "Inan'",and for start this interview I would like asking how was record and release this production? and what mean the word: "Inan'" is a word in slovenian?
Hi, thank you for having me. Inan’ was recorded at the end of 2014 and it shows the progress we have made as a band since our first release. The title comes from the English word 'inane', meaning emptiness or void, describing the feeling of being lost and empty. We believe  the songs have generally improved. The sound is better, my vocals have gained more depth, feeling and control. The backing vocals are used more often, and the guitar solos are the song’s finishing touch, bringing out that extra feeling. Like the demo, our EP was recorded, mixed and mastered by Benjamin Kic. 
By the way, I like the art of this new album made by Mihaela Žitko, drummer of Mist, but what concept represent this art for the lyrics of this new production?
Both covers, for ¨Demo 2013¨ and ¨Inan'¨were created by our drummer, Mihaela Zitko. She has been an artist all her life and is currently attending art school. inan's cover portrays the diversity in nature, the living and the dead in coexistence. We seek inspiration in nature and its differences, especially in the human mind and soul, where each human being experiences their good and bad sides, which are forced to coexist.
Now, in what do you take inspiration Nina to write your lyrics? and when you sing how do you focus your vocal energy to express your own lyrics? 
Most of the lyrics are written by Neža and Ema. Neža looks for the inspiration within, describing her emotions and fears, feelings of loss and despair... On the other hand, Ema looks for inspiration in the outside world, describing what she sees rather than what she feels.  Every song on Inan' has a different story. Frozen Velvet and Inan' are about love, Under The Night Sky is a tale of witches casting spells in the moonlight and Phobia describes the feelings of terror and paranoia. I always focus on lyrics and emotions and try to express them with my vocals. Every song means something special to me so I work hard to add to the feel of each song  with my voice.
Tell me about you vocal techniques, you know many metal singers prepare their voice before to sing in live or record, what is your tecnique to prepare your vocal before every recording and performance in live? and who are your vocal influences?
My vocal techniques are simply to concentrate on breathing, warming up the diaphragm and facial muscles. When recording I help my vocal cords with prunes which sort of smoothen the voice and I like to drink some beer to calm my  nerves. It also helps to imagine I am on stage singing, sometimes holding a prop microphone in my hand to help with the act. My influences in high school were Tarja Turunen, Simone Simons, Sharon den Adel,… Nowadays my biggest inspiration is Messiah Marcolin.
In some pics of Mist I notice some influence of esoterism, so is the esoteric world part of the ideology of the band? or is just an image? very appart of this I see in some pics of your performance in live you sing with the skull of an animal, how born the idea to sing with a skull in your performance?
Yes, in the song Under the night sky there is a ritual part where I use a skull of deer with horns. We use skulls, horns and candles with candlestick for stage props. We like to give a witchy charm to the stage when we perform. Most of the skulls I got from my grandpa, he is a hunter. A few members of the band hold an interest in some esoteric beliefs, but it is all out of curiosity and seeking inspiration.
I have to say with the years I know the band I see a fast grow up in Mist, very appart the band played in many metal festivals in Europe, but I would like ask you, how do you felt you when you singed for first time with your partners of Mist? and how is share every show and tour with your friends in the road for every show of the band?
The first time when we had practice was just me, Mihaela and Ema and we were just jamming with some heavy metal songs and I was very excited and nervous. But later when some time had passed I realized that they are my family, I love them and I sing in front of them with a lot less stress than the first time. Every concert with Mist is a joyful event and unforgettable. It is priceless to me to show the world what we have charmed up in our rehearsal space.
Mist started like a female band, but actually the band have a boy in the band, so how was include this guy to play in Mist? 
Guitarist Nina Grizonic left the band in fall 2013 but we continued to write songs and play live. We found our new lead guitarist (Blaz Tansek) in August 2014 and he has contributed a lot to the band, but more importantly he is a great guy who really adds to our energy as a group.
Nina it was a good interview, to end this interview do you have a message to readers and Mist fans? 
Mist is art, from the lyrics, to music and the visual part (artworks). This is how we feel about it. We created every little bit from our souls, the lyrics are our hearts on display,  the music an extension of the atmosphere in them, the artworks portray our beginnings and growth. If you like authentic music, Mist is right for you. Thank you to every person who took their time to read these words!

To know more about Mist:
https://www.facebook.com/mist.doom

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario