martes, 1 de marzo de 2016

Interview to Tony Dolan of Venom Inc


Interview by Luis Landeo
Hails Tony, welcome to Arsenal Del Metalero for me is a big new know you are working again with Mantas and Abaddon, and this is a big pleasure have this interview with you, to start with this interview let me ask  you about: how born the idea to re-unite the venom original ex member and create Venom Inc? do you think the name of the band is creating a controversy?
Hi and thank you for the honour of having me here and it is a great pleasure for me also. Well the whole thing wasn't planned really. I was playing a show with my band ATOMKRAFT when the promoter from Germany's, KEEP IT TRUE festival who was at the show, wrote me after saying how much he had enjoyed it. I invited Mantas to join me on stage for a couple of songs and the promoter asked if I was aware that Abaddon had been in the audience too. He said if he booked M:PIRE of EVIL ( the band myself and Mantas also have ) to play his festival and Abaddon was there, was there a possibility he could come on stage with us and perform some Venom classics. He said that if anyone could make that happen it was me..(laughs). I guess he was also aware of the disharmony that plagues Venom. I spoke to both Mantas and Abaddon and it was agreed that w would go and play 5 or so songs for the fun of it and the fans.
We selected the 5 songs and flew to Germany without even seeing each other or rehearsing. We met at the hotel after so many years apart. Went to the show, MPIRE played then we switched and Abaddon joined Mantas and I on stage and we played the songs. 2000 people went fucking crazy and we were shocked. Before we left Germany I was getting messages, as the video's of the performance had gone viral, by promoters and agents asking if this was real, would we tour and we had offers.. It all took us by surprise, so we sat down and talked and decided, fuck it...THIS is fan driven, not planned. Promoters, Agents and fans are driving us and as a result from China and Japan to Chile and Mexico, from Canada to Italy, we have not stopped playing since that first show...
The name that was going to be used was Iron and Steel then our agent said we had to use Venom somewhere....the fans also began to call for us to include the name Venom somewhere...so...we thought, as the original logo was drawn by Abaddon then we could use that and I wanted to add Incorporated...because we all have other projects which we want to keep doing, so it kind of incorporates everything...all projects and that we were all in Venom, not least that mantas and Abaddon are the original members who created the band. So was born the title, VENOM.INC – Iron and Steel...but it seems everyone just decided to ignore that.(laughs). Magazines, promoters, labels and fans and so they ALL named us simply...VENOM.INC.
What is your opinion about the actual Venom`s sound? and what is your opinion about Cronos? 
You mean the original sound? I think it was an mixture of power, volume and chaos, once it became more streamlined it lost its brutal force somewhat. What WE are doing is staying true to that essence. The things that made everyone who loves Venom, love Venom. The Sound WE have is the soul of that sound. What is being done now under that name? I think it is lost somewhere and looking for that identity...it may be good or bad but it is not the same Venom that started of course but more than that, has not got the same spirit or danger.
I have no opinion. What he does, he does. What I do, I do. I just try not to spend every moment I get to speak out crying or whining....I just get on with it..Stand on your talent and your music. If you are too weak to be honest then be quiet. At the end of the day it is about music and fans and that's all.
Fans will decide what they like or not and trying to convince them otherwise is dumb. Metal and extreme fans are not that stupid, so I just wish people would not treat them as if they were and stop trying to rip them off for all their cash.
You was singer of venom for 3 great albums (prime evil, Temples Of Ice and wastelands) have you in mind re edit this full lenghts with Mantas and Abaddon with the name of: Venom inc? or do you have in mind record new music with venom inc soon?
Yes, I did Prime Evil, Tear Your Soul Apart Ep, Live '90 video, Temples of Ice and album for Russia called 'Kissing the Beast' and finally The Wastelands..Well I would love them, to be re-released but that isn't so easy to make happen...and I have been trying, so in an ideal world, I love to re-record all so we can release them for fans...but either way...the plan is indeed to do a brand NEW VENOM.INC album.
I would like to know about your old experience working with Mantas an Abaddon in venom, how was work with them between the years 1989 - 1992? how was record with them? and can you tell any experience with them in live?
Actually we started with the VENOM work in 1988 after Cronos left Abaddon. I was invited to join by Abaddon and then it was to convince Mantas to come back. I personally did not think it could happen if there was just one original member and I also enjoyed always working with Mantas and thought the combination could do something really cool. We pretty much worked separately on the writing...I wrote songs like Blackened Are The Priests and Carnivorous and Insane,then I wrote Parasite and Abaddon delivered the lyrics which were edited somewhat and used...same with Skeletal Dance...Mantas brought...Harder Than Ever and Skool Daze and Into the Fire all completed. I had the main Riff and idea for Prime Evil and we worked the arrangement with Abaddon (slowing the main riff down) and Mantas added a riff he had from earlier Venom work and that was that. So really, we did very little work all 3 together at that stage but...recording...felt like a unit...completed. There was a great atmosphere and feeling and the power was all there..
From there it was all easy and live always felt like VENOM...maybe a different VENOM to the one that did Clam Before the Storm previously and again different to the 4 original albums..but not too far away. It was still VENOM..
Even now when we play live, it's like 1981 all over again...and we are all 20...it's funny but you only get that when you feel everything and there is true intent...so we feed of the audience and then throw it back to them, the way it should be..
By the way how goes all with Atomkraft? have you in mind release a new album with your other band? because the last ep was released in 2011 and a compilation album in 2014
Yes the Ep was not originally planned but just happened...not the best production but...some cool stuff. The compilation was just a mash mash of old tapes really. Things that had not been heard...all various in how they were recorded. Not mastered and mixed to be smooth but just raw and on a level of energy that just captured THAT recordings moment. That being said...I am still writing the new songs (after scraping so many) for a NEW ATOMKRAFT album. I think I'd lost track of what ATOMKRAFT stared out as...so I have gone back to start and I think...it's gonna be cool...just need to find some spare time to complete and finish it...but either way I will be doing some shows soon...
I would like ask you about how goes the last shows with Venom inc? because many fans are happies you and the guys are bacjk. And have you in mind a southamerican tour soon?
The shows have been amazing and the response incredible...South America? Well in December we played Chile, Mexico, Costa Rica and Brazil...but the plan is Jan 2017 perhaps to do Colombia, Peru, Argentina,Ecuador, Panama, Puerto Rica and the others again, just as many shows as we can do through Central and South America...so ALL can see us..These are the most beautiful and amazing places in the world and the fans are just fantastic so...we want to come play for everyone.
I know you are actor and let me tell you, i saw 2 movies you worked: Judge Dredd (one movie i saw many times, and a film I saw when i was 6 years old) and  Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (a film i saw when i was 14 years old), how was work in that movies? how is the real world of hollywood? and how was work with: silvester stallone and Russell Crowe?
OH wow (laughs)...cool..It's great doing movies...although lots of waiting so can also be boring (laughs)..TV the same. Theatre acting is a little different than film but none compare to playing live music to an audience. 
There is no REAL world in Hollywood (laughs)...it's like Mc Donalds...everyone smiles and says ''have a nice day'' but no one means it..One of the reasons I did not keep it going was that I would have had to relocate and then buy into that world. I am too real for it and I do not have the patience. Some people are prepared to be subservient in order to make it but I can't be fucked with all of that nonsense.
Stallone is so interesting and the coolest to chat too. He works hard and is a true star. When you talk about motorbikes, training or boxing, he comes alive and gets excited...he has a great passion and he was responsible for the first ROCKY movie ,which affected me then and for the rest of my life still has...It was an incredible honour to be on set next to him and be able to talk with him too.
Russell, was a true true mate and still is...such a great actor but so generous and a person too. Doesn't take any shit and knows his mind. To be in a movie with such an amazing cast and with a great director was so great but to then come away with such friends after..just no words. I have been very lucky.
Seeing my friend Paul Bettany in so many great movies since and the Marvel Avengers?? Cool..(laughs)...Pat Gallagher as Genghis Kahn in the Night At The museum series..and working with Bill Boyd after Lord of The Rings..such things dreams are made of..(laughs)...
Let me ask you, how difficult is be an actor in uk and hollywood? what do you think about the new british films and new talents? and have you in mind participate in a new film?
So many go and so many fail. I see lots of movies being made here and there and think...mmmm.that would be cool to be in but realistically...you have to be %100 focused on just that...then there is agents etc...and for me...I was working as a production manager and automation engineer and then there is the music so...ran out of time and space..(laughs) ...I know some people will read that and say things like...what be a hollywood star or and engineer getting dirty??? No contest...(laughs)...of course...BUT YOU don not get to chose...you get to audition...unless you are Tom Cruise etc......and you may be one of 100 actors...so IF you get picked...you are very lucky to be the right one at the right time...I am humbled by what I got to do and grateful. I have lost of famous friends who act and I am sure if I really pushed and focused then maybe I could do more again but right now my focus is the music...I have done some commercials and voice overs...but I basically like life as it comes. So there have been one or 2 offers and I am considering so if the scripts become real then I will be doing more acting on film. A TV company in the UK was looking for me too do a TV series as a presenter so that is still a possibility and I can do it in my down time from music...so...let's just see what the future brings..
About Venom, what is your favorite and personal song of the albums you was singer in Venom?
That's difficult..(laughs)..I like so many and not sure of so many (laughs)..I think...Blackened Are The Priests...is my favourite...if I had to pick one...BUT I could chose more..(laughs).
I would like to know in what do you take inspiration to write a lyric? and how many hours take you create a melody with your bass for a song you are playing?
Sometimes I get an idea and just write it in moments and that is it. Sometimes I get the idea and then work with mantas bouncing lyrical ideas..I have always said...I let the music tell me what it wants to say...so I like hearing the music and doing lyrics last but...sometimes I get an inspirational idea and the lyrics just come out.
With the music I write? I vary...sometimes I writ on the bass...but as I am a guitarist I also write on guitar...so..it varies...again I just go play and see what happens, sometimes nothing and other times...it flows and you can't stop it.. It could take days to complete some ideas...or minutes...it just depends..I have always worked best under pressure...so...I kind of...leave everything until the last minute so...I have to work fast...that way you don't spend days questioning what you did. That way, for me at least, it is real and spontaneous and full of life.
Tony it was a great interview, hope for the album of Venom Inc and to finish do you have a last message to readers and fans of your band?
Thank you for the time and I really enjoyed the interview. I'd just like to thank everyone for their tireless support and invite all to come and witness us live. Do not believe the bullshit or get involved in the politics, just focus on what we all love the music...come see, hear and meet us....let us show you what we are about. To each and every one of you, thanx and respect.
SEE YOU ON THE DANCE FLOOR!! OUT THERE,SOME WHERE!!

To know more about Venom:
https://www.facebook.com/VenomIncOfficial

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario